We added a twist to the classic shortbread cookie by adding black sesame for a nutty flavor with Blue Lotus and Rose. These are best served with tea.
1 cup of unsalted butter
½ cup of granulated sugar
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
1 packet of blue lotus
1 packet of rose
4 tablespoons of black sesame seeds
- Grind the black sesame seeds into a paste by using a coffee grinder or food processor. This should take 2 minutes.
- In a stand mixer or bowl (if doing by hand), combine softened butter and sugar until combined
- Add flour and extract and mix until a dough forms
- Remove from the bowl and turn out onto a surface dusted with flour and form a disc. Cover and put in the fridge for 2 hours to chill before rolling it out.
- 10-15 minutes before taking out the dough, prepare the flowers by plucking the petal individually
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or spoon and make 1 inch balls
- Flatten each dough ball with a spoon and press flower petals.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes
- Remove tray and press flower petals into the cookies
- Let the cookies completely cool before eating