At the Qi, we believe in the power of flowers to stimulate a deep sense of holistic well-being for all, and it is incredibly important to us that we shed light on the benefits of incorporating flowers into your routine to help you concoct your all-natural detoxifying ritual. However, there are both edible and non-edible varieties of flowers in existence. For example, some vegetables, such as cauliflower and broccoli, are botanically classified as flowers; however, gardeners generally harvest vegetables like these before the flower buds are fully open. Whereas, Daffodils are beautiful flowers that are poisonous especially if you ingest its bulb which has the highest concentration of a toxic chemical known as lycorine. As we continue to educate and encourage you to utilize edible flowers for wellness teas, in salads, or even as attractive and colorful decorations to any plate we want to also inform you that there are many non-edible flowers that are actually poisonous if consumed. Furthermore, you also should never ingest any plant or flowers that have been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals, harvest flowers growing by the roadside, or eat any flowers before checking with a medical or plant professional first. Therefore, in this guide we'll be exploring the uses and dangers of the most common non edible flowers!
Non Edible Flowers:
Lily of the Valley
The Lily of the valley, Convallaria majalis, is a flowering plant mainly harvested in the cool temperate woodlands of Asia and Europe with a sweet fragrant scent. These pendant, bell-shaped white flowers are incredibly beautiful yet ingesting their extremely toxic compounds — called cardiac glycosides — can send you to the hospital with symptoms like dizziness, vomiting, rashes, severe heart issues, and, if left untreated, these flowers can even cause death. Although all parts of this flower when consumed are toxic to humans these flowers can be beautiful house plants as they are easy to maintain and symbolize the return of happiness and promote tranquility.
Foxglove, also known as Digitalis, is one of about 20 species of herbaceous perennials that bloom in the second year. These colorful bell-shaped flowers produce berries that commonly entice children, but contain a compound used for treating heart failure. This compound when ingested can cause the heart rate to slow down or become irregular as well as drooling, vomiting, seizures, and dilated pupils. Furthermore, the pollen from these flowers also contains this poisonous compound so it is incredibly important to wash anything, especially fruits or vegetables, growing near these flowers. Aside from these drawbacks, in flower gardens Foxgloves are not only gorgeous but they also symbolize ambition, creativity, confidence, and productivity.
Daffodils, scientifically named Narcissus, is a subdivision of spring flowering perennial plants of the amaryllis family, Amaryllidaceae. As daffodils are considered one of the most popular spring flowers, it is important to know that parts of the daffodil are toxic to humans. The most poisonous part of the daffodil is the bulb, as it contains a high concentration of a toxic chemical known as lycorine, but the leaves, stems and flowers will also cause severe symptoms if ingested. Symptoms of daffodil poisoning include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, burning, diarrhea and, in more severe cases, convulsions. Although these risks are present if daffodils are ingested, daffodils are a staple indoor plant as they symbolize rebirth and new beginnings. Additionally, daffodils grow in various shades of white, yellow, and orange, and they are best known for brightening up any space with their gorgeous hues.
Hydrangeas are beautiful flowers that primarily come in blue, pink and purple varieties that contain cyanogenic glycosides. These compounds, when consumed, can upset one's gastrointestinal tract, leading to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. These toxins can also lower one's heart rate and the amount of oxygen in one’s blood. As long as hydrangeas aren't consumed they are especially gorgeous additions to any outdoor garden and, depending on their color, can attract a variety of positive energies. Hydrangeas also represent gratitude, beauty, peace and abundance.
Tulips are another incredibly popular spring flower that happen to be poisonous if consumed. Tulips contain alkaloid and glycoside compounds that are toxic and concentrated in the bulb of this flower. Eating tulips or its bulbs can cause dizziness, nausea, abdominal pain and, sometimes, convulsions as well as death. Although tulips are evidently poisonous if consumed, tulips are beautiful flowers that come in a variety of bright colors; such as red, purple, yellow, or pink. Tulips symbolize love and, like many flowers, different colors of tulips also often carry their own significance. Red tulips are strongly associated with true love, while purple tulips symbolize royalty. Yellow tulips represent cheerful thoughts and pink tulips symbolize caring, attachment, and good wishes.